This page provides quick links for Financial Management Systems (FMS) software vendors with the information needed to integrate their software with the DfE financial data collection forms.
Detailed information on the academies chart of accounts (CoA) can also be found here.
2. Academy trust finance automation: software integration guide
This guide provides FMS software vendors with the information they need to register their software and prepare for integration with the Automation API. It is intended for use by business analysts, technical architects, and software developers.
3. Developer pole
the development center is a self-service portal to register your software product and subscribe to the Submission API. A provider can register the application, generate client credentials and subscription keys for the API.
4. Test environments
You can read all the details about the test environments on the development center.
the vendor test environment is used by software vendors to test their use of the API. Live data should NOT be used in this environment. This environment is available all year round.
the User Acceptance Testing (UAT) environment is used by software vendors during the user acceptance testing phase of the API. Live data should NOT be used in this environment. This environment is available from June to February each year.
5. Accounting plan of the academies (CoA)
5.1 CoA versions
The CoA version defines the accounting codes used for the exercise. The version format is three digits (for example: 2.0.0).
Submissions through the API must include a “CoA version”. Format requirements and validation requirements are detailed in the developer hub notes.
CoA is published each spring on GOV.UK. From spring 2022, two versions will be available simultaneously for trusts.
The “latest” version of CoA is published in the spring before the next fiscal year. This provides trusts with an up-to-date CoA version for their budget planning.
The “previous” version of the CoA: this will be used for the rest of the current exercise, although there will be some overlap with the latest version of the CoA. It will also be used for the collection of statements of accounts (AR) for the same financial year.
‘Hybrid’ versions of CoA (updated for FMS vendor systems only)
The CoA version for the relevant fiscal year is updated for required mapping changes in AR collection for the same period. No changes will be made to the account codes themselves.
Two updates will be released in the year leading up to the next AR collection period for FMS vendors only. We will post links on this page.
- 1st update: to be released in March before the collection window AR : it will contain all known updates and will be the “latest” CoA version released at this stage, please follow the link to download Chart of accounts for the academies 2021-22 – AR Automation 22 March
- 2nd update: to be released in August before AR collection window : this will contain all final updates and will be the “previous” released CoA version at this point
The August update for AR 21/22 is not yet available
5.2 CoA version change logic
The version of the CoA may change depending on the changes made to the CoA for the year. We will avoid major changes where possible and communicate them separately if necessary.
|Revision||Change of CoA|
|Major (1st digit)||– Change of CoA code|
|Minor (2nd digit)||– Change of cartography
– Changed signage adjustment
– Rounding count change
– Modifications or reformatting of the description
|Maintenance – internal updates only (3rd digit)||– Modifications or reformatting of the description|
5.3 Timeline and impacts of the CoA
The table below shows the CoA publication timelines based on the collection of account feedback for 2021/22.
|May||Publish the CoA for the upcoming academic year|
|September||Trusts use this CoA in the FMS|
|March||CoA is loaded into the database for the next return of accounts (AR) so that FMS can start testing|
|August||CoA in database updated again for any mapping changes identified since March|
|from November to January||AR collection window – no CoA change|
6. Communication of changes to the CoA
We will publish changes to the CoA for the next Academy Trust Year (i.e. the “latest” version) on the Academy Chart of Accounts and automate the return of accounts in:
- the updated section of the “Guide to adopting the accounting plan of the academies”
- the change control tab ‘Chart of Accounts of the Academies’
FMS providers should refer to CoA updates and take the following steps so that trusts can update their systems for the upcoming fiscal year:
- when a trust has adopted the CoA in the general ledger (natively), ensure that it has the ability to apply the required changes in its general ledger
- when a trust maps its own CoA to the DfE CoA through the FMS vendor software, vendors should also communicate the changes to their trusts to ensure that they have the equivalent change made in their own CoA and that the mapping is created with the DfE’s CoA
We will post the “hybrid” versions of the CoA on this page according to the timelines listed above. We will notify vendors directly when we post updates.
If you have any questions, please email the DfE Finance Automation team.